Thursday 30 October 2014

'Bloody' Halloween Chocolate Cupcakes

Well as the eve of Hallow draws ever closer, I took to the kitchen to rustle up some ghouly treats. I got the idea of filling the inside of the cake with jam from Cupcake Jemma's youtube page. I wanted the centre to be a 'bloody' surprise.

I topped with a indulgent vanilla cream cheese icing and more splattering of the jammy blood.

I was happy with how they came out, and think that would be perfect for children and grown ups alike (I took mine along to a friends for an eve of scary movies and they went down a treat).

Ingredients

Makes 24 small cupcakes

175g Plain Flour
30g Cocoa Powder
185g Caster Sugar
1/2 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
Pinch of Salt
75g Chocolate (melted and cooled)
1 and a half Eggs (Do this by whisking up one of the eggs and adding half the mixture)
100ml Coffee (cooled - I used a Nespresso machine to get this, but you can also use instant coffee.)
100ml Buttermilk
100ml Coconut Oil (If you don't have this then use vegetable oil)
Some store bought jam (of course you can make your own). I used the berries and cherries Bonne Maman one. 

1. Preheat the oven to 150c. Then sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl.

2. In a large jug whisk all the wet ingredients together. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry a little at a time and mix.

3. When the mixture is fully incorporated ladle out into the cupcake cases. Be careful at this point because it can et quite messy...

4. Bake the cakes in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow them to cool.

5. When the cakes are cooling start to make the cream cheese frosting. If you want to find out how to do this, then check out my last post

6. Once the cakes are completely cool you now want to make some room for the jam filling. I did this by using the end of a biro (cleaned!) and pushed it into the cake and wiggled it around a bit (innuendo bingo much!?), thus creating room for the jam.

7. Then pipe the jam into the centre of each cupcake. 

8. Then ice the cupcakes whichever way you like. I used a piping bag to do mine 'cause I wanted to. 

9. To finish them off I popped on some 'Halloweeny' sweets and added a splattering of jam.
So there you go. Some scary little treats ready for your consumption. Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment